Living Room Rug Ideas
The living room is the gathering place for your home. It’s the spot where your family gathers for game night, where you curl up with a good book on a rainy afternoon, where you catch up with an old friend, or where a spontaneous movie night comes together. The right living room rug can make your living room truly liveable! Rugs have the power to soften and define a space. They can add important design elements to make your room feel like your own. We’ve gathered some great living room rug ideas that are sure to help you pick your new favorite rug!
How To Pick The Right Living Room Rug
When picking a rug for a living room, consider these things:
- Size: Picking the right size rug is important. If the rug is too small it can look out of place and make the room feel disjointed. If the rug is too large, it can actually make the room look smaller. Measure your room and then the space where you’d like the rug to go. A common mistake is buying a rug that’s too small. You want all the furniture of your living room seating area to fit onto the rug. Its ideal if the furniture can fit completely on the rug. But if not, make sure the front two legs of sofas and chairs fit easily on the rug. Avoid buying a rug that’s too big by allowing 12-18” of space between your wall and the edge of the rug.
- Color: Balance helps any room to feel more comfortable. Consider the colors that exist in your living room. If you need to brighten the space, a rug is the perfect way to add color and texture. If your living room has plenty of color, a neutral living room rug can help to ground the space while still adding softness and texture.
- Care: Rugs are made to live on the floor but be aware of how your rug should be cared for and cleaned. Different materials must be cared for specifically per their instructions. Be sure to check the care instructions before deciding on your rug.
- Material: Look at the overall style of your home. Is it modern, traditional, rustic, farmhouse? Maybe it’s a combination of more than one style. An area rug is a great way to pull individual style into your home. A vintage oriental rug can make a modern living room feel lasting. A jute rug in a contemporary living room can help the space feel more organic and less steril. Check out more area rug ideas for the living room below.
Styling Your Living Room
SHOP LIVING ROOM RUGS
- Coastal. Create a beachy vibe in your living room with a rug in light ocean blue and sea green tones. Mix in some neutral color with ivory and gray accessories. You can’t help but relax in this calm and serene setting.
- Bohemian. If you’re looking to add a little life to your living room, go for a boho style. This style mixes bright colors with neutral tones for a creative, artistic, well traveled vibe. Try adding a vintage style rug in bright pinks, blues, and yellows. Bright colors are not as overwhelming when they’re on the floor. Add a neutral couch and accessorize with treasures from your travels. Finish the look with some indoor plants. Your bohemian living room will be your new favorite place in your home!
- Mid-Century Modern. This style is making a huge come back from its origin in the 1950’s and 60’s. For a Mid-century modern look, choose a rug in neutral tones with straight lines or geometric patterns.
- Farmhouse. If you’re in love with the farmhouse style (aren’t we all?!) then choose a rug in a neutral tone. Jute and sisal rugs are perfect for your farmhouse living room; they provide texture and definition for the space. They’re also very durable and easy to clean. If you want to add a little color, try layering a smaller rug on top of your jute or sisal rug.
- Traditional. No matter your style, a traditional oriental rug is a great choice for the living room. They’ve been popular for centuries and for good reason. A well made Oriental rug is likely to outlast paint colors and all the furnishings of your living room! Consider the color and size you’d like for your space (see tips above) and turn your living room into the space you’ve always dreamed of