Rugs Direct understands your concerns regarding Internet privacy and security. We know these are very important and that is why we take special care to safeguard the confidentiality and security of your information. We encrypt all of your personal information including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.
How does our secure server work?
- Starting Your Order Every order you place with us is secure. All data submitted via the checkout form is encrypted using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) encryption.
- Making a Positive ID After you've selected items to purchase, you'll be prompted to "proceed to checkout." At this point, your browser looks for a site certificate to confirm that it is communicating with our store. Once a positive ID is made, your order continues.
- Entering Secure Mode At this point, your computer and our server begin communicating in secure mode, sending data back and forth in an encrypted format. We are ready to ask you for your credit card information. The encryption features of browser software are exceptionally powerful and ensure the security of this data as it is transmitted to our server.
- Your Order Is Complete Next, your credit card numbers are placed in a database on the secure web server. A user must have login privileges on the web server (requiring a password) to be able to access the database, which also requires a password.
Order information, including the credit card numbers, is retrieved through a web interface. This interface challenges the user for a password twice, and then "expires" the session after ten minutes, requiring the user to login again. All communications during these sessions are encrypted again using SSL. No credit card numbers are ever sent via e-mail, due to the fact that most e-mail is not secure.
How can you tell if you are in secure mode? Standard, unsecured URL address begin with "http://". When you enter secure mode, the beginning of the URL address will change to "https://"; the "s" stands for secure. Most browsers in secure mode also display a blue line along the top of the browser window. Some browsers display a broken key or open padlock symbol in the lower corner of your browser window when you are not viewing a secure page of a site. This key will become solid or the lock will close when you enter secure mode.
How do we protect the information you provide? We use industry-standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption to safeguard all sensitive data transmitted to us. This means that your personal information - including credit card number, name, expiration date, and billing information - is encrypted so that it cannot be read by anyone else.
We also offer an extra layer of security when you use a shared computer in a corporate or public area. Even if you select the auto-login feature on a machine that third parties might have access to, your password and your credit card information will NOT be displayed. Unlike other auto-login programs, our system will require that you type in your password every time, thus making sure it is really you who has signed in, and not someone else using the same computer. Rugs Direct is a VeriSign Secure Site. The VeriSign seal at the bottom of any page allows you to confirm that we are who we say we are and that all the information you provide will be protected every time you use our service.
What information do we collect? When you visit our site, our server automatically collects non-personally identifiable information - your internet service provider address and information on the pages you access on our site. In addition, we store information you provide when you make a purchase or enter your e-mail address. We also collect information when you volunteer to complete a survey.
How do we collect the information? Like many Internet sites, we use "cookies" to recognize returning customers. Cookies are small pieces of information that are stored by your browser on your computer's hard drive. We use the cookies to recognize your preferences and to keep track of items you've added to your shopping cart.
What do we do with the information we collect?
- By evaluating how customers use our site, we can offer better content, easier navigation, and better checkout services.
- If you join our e-mail list, we will offer you updates about new products and services, discounts and special promotions. You can join or leave our mailing list at any time. Customers who supply us with a telephone number will only receive calls from us pertaining to orders they have placed.
- We use customer information in processing transactions both within our company and with third party vendors. Our third party vendors are, by contract, restricted from using your information in any way, except to help us provide the products and services we offer you on our site.
- We may provide customer information (but not credit card information) to affiliate companies, partners or organizations from time to time.
Ad Servers We do not partner with or have special relationships with any ad server companies.