How to Choose A Kitchen Rug
Are you in the market for a kitchen rug but have too many questions to commit? We’ve got answers to all your burning rug questions so that you can pick the perfect rug for the heart of your home!
What Size Should A Kitchen Rug Be?
What an important question! Choose a rug that’s too small and it can look like an afterthought. Choose a rug that’s too big and it can make your kitchen look smaller. Don’t fret, here are some tips for choosing the right size rug for your kitchenWhat an important question! Choose a rug that’s too small and it can look like an afterthought. Choose a rug that’s too big and it can make your kitchen look smaller. Don’t fret, here are some tips for choosing the right size rug for your kitchen (see our Kitchen Rug Size Guide below for specific size recommendations)::
- Take a look at your kitchen and determine how much of the floor you’d like to cover. If you love your flooring, you may want something small and squishy just in front of the sink or work area.
- If you have a narrow kitchen or space between an island and cupboards, a runner can make the space look bigger and add interest and warmth.
- Have a large kitchen? Choose a large rug to add warmth and softness to the space.
- If you’re looking for something out of the ordinary, try a round rug centered in the kitchen. It will soften the hard lines of the room and make it more inviting.
Kitchen Rug Size Guide
- 2x3, 3x5 and 4x6: Place a small kitchen rug in front of sink or stove.
- Runners: A kitchen runner is a great option for in front of the sink or stove in a long narrow kitchen. You can also place between kitchen cupboards and island.
- 5x8, 6x9 and 8x10: Have a large space? Center your rug in the kitchen under a free standing island or in the center of the dining room.
What Is The Best Type Of Rug For The Kitchen?
In the kitchen, spills drips and dribbles are inevitable. But don’t let that keep you from enjoying a beautiful rug in your kitchen!
- Wool rugs are a top choice for the kitchen. They are resistant to dirt, moisture and stains. Not to mention they are soft and provide a nice cushion for your feet while scrubbing pots and pans.
- Indoor outdoor rugs are a great choice in the kitchen as they are made to be extra durable and can withstand spills and wear.
- Natural fiber rugs like jute and sisal can add an organic feel to the kitchen. They hold up well to dirt and lots of traffic--especially those in flat weaves.
Where To Put A Kitchen Rug?
Place a kitchen rug in the places where you spend the most time. For most people, this is in front of the sink or stove.
- A small 2x3 or 3x5 rug placed in front of the sink or stove provides nice cushion for your feet.
- If you have a long narrow kitchen space (think galley style) or simply have a kitchen with a large island dividing the space, a runner is a great addition. Runners help narrow spaces appear wider.
Why Use A Kitchen Rug?
A rug in the kitchen can serve a lot of purposes.
- A rug will add color, interest, and design to a space that tends to feel a bit muted.
- Rugs also help fight foot fatigue by providing cushion, and combat slipping--especially when paired with a high quality rug pad.
- Rugs also help to protect your flooring from scratches, dents, dings and moisture.
Now that you know how to choose the right kitchen rug for your space, now's the time to shop! Browse thousands of beautiful kitchen rugs to find the perfect one for your space!
SHOP KITCHEN RUGS