5 Heartfelt Touches for Valentine’s Day and Beyond
Growing up, my grandfather always made a point of surprising me and my mom with cards, flowers, and raspberry pastries from our favorite bakery on Valentine’s Day morning, so I still associate this holiday more with family and love in general than romantic dinners. So whether you are planning something special for your sweetie, or want to celebrate with friends (or your kids!) here are 5 great ideas to make the day special.
1. Breakfast in bed. Who can resist a special tray of sweet treats and freshly brewed coffee enjoyed propped up in a comfy bed? Bring a bit of extra sweetness in by adorning your bedside with a vase of flowers, and swapping out your usual pillow cases for dusky pink versions.
2. Light it up. If you’re planning a Valentine’s Day party, the quickest way to create a festive, romantic atmosphere is by boosting the mood lighting. Wrap a pillar in strands of twinkle lights or drape them across the ceiling, and load up on candles. For a really special smile booth worthy prop, consider tracking down a great big light-up heart, which can double as decor long after the holiday.
3. Get creative with flowers. Tired of the same-old same-old red rose bouquets? Try something unexpected and crafty instead by hanging single stems of flowers from the ceiling using fishing line. Hung above a self-serve bar, it looks like a modern art installation!
4. Set a special table. Whether you are planning an intimate dinner for two, or a sweet school day breakfast, taking the time to pull out the “fancy” dishes and fold the napkins into hearts is all it takes to set the meal apart.
5. Get crafty. If you’re searching for a Valentine’s Day craft project that won’t get tossed after V-day, I suggest this embroidery hoop project from The Nester. Simply fill embroidery hoops of various sizes (available at any craft store) with linen fabric, and embellish with sequins, embroidery thread, pom poms, or any other fun supplies you happen to have on hand.
And of course, to set the mood, wouldn’t it be fun to roll out a super-soft pink rug underfoot? I would love to use any of these options in the dining room for a Valentine’s Day dinner party:
Rug shopping guide (clockwise from top left): Safavieh Vision in pink; Artistic Weavers Madeline Rosey in brown and pink; Safavieh Valencia in pink; Jaipur Rugs Ceres Eris in grey, silver, blue and pink.
Copyright © Rugs Direct ®Check Out My Google+ Page